Re: BUG: Cygwin implementation of Debian package tools

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

David A. Cobb wrote:

++rm.exe    <==== getting 98% of the CPU time and not making any
progress.  Watching the handles display, I see an open handle on what
must be the first *.deb file found so I'm pretty sure of the "no
progress -= stuck!" diagnosis.

If there is a Windows process which has a handle on a file or directory
open, rm shows this behaviour occasionally. e.g. try to run
rm -rf /path/to/directory
while having an explorer view open on this directory (or a subdirectory of directory).

It happens i.e. often for me when using the generic-build-script, if invoking with install or reconf which does rm -rf .build / .inst and
having an explorer shell open in one of the (sub)directories to be
removed from the script -> it seems to hang and it is always rm.

Maybe Reini can look into this issue, it seems he is already working
at the coreutils sources. But I think it is a Windows feature and this is probably difficult to work around.

Gerrit

It's always good to know I'm not the only one getting things like this. At least if I've lost my mind I have companions.

It's hard to see how a Windows misfeature prevents rm.exe from deleting a file and exiting. But, yeah, the --recurse could create some sort of situation I guess. But I don't see a bunch of handles on nodes in a directory branch -- just the one .deb file.

-- David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate "By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr. Life is too short to tolerate crappy software!

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard