RE: Avail for test: libtool-devel-1.9f_20041024-1, libltdl6-1.9f_20041024-1

Chuck wrote:
> New alpha versions of libtool available for test.  This is
> very close to
> what libtool-2.0 will be.  Please evaluate.
>
> NOTE: cygwin maintainers: do NOT release any updates of your packages
> built using this version of libtool!  Be sure to revert back to
> "regular" libtool-devel ("1.5.10-1") before packaging any of your
> "stuff" for official releases.
>
> This version passes ALL existing libtool selftests on cygwin, for the
> first time ever.

I have one problem with libtool 1.9d, that I suspect is still present
in 1.9f. If I specify -lpthread when linking, libtool searches for a
real file matching -lpthread, like this:

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lpthread.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libpthread and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /lib/libpthread.a
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

*** Since this library must not contain undefined symbols,
*** because either the platform does not support them or
*** it was explicitly requested with -no-undefined,
*** libtool will only create a static version of it.

Now, I *know* that I don't need to specify -lpthread. But I would like
libtool to not search for the real file in this case, just as it does
not search for a real file if I specify -lc or -lm.

Because of this, libtool fails to build the dll in question, which is a
pity.

Cheers,
Peter