Re: wstring, how?

Larry Hall wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't specific in my reply. 'wchar_t' is referenced in newlib. 'wstring' is only defined (typedef) in '/usr/include/g++-3/string' but it is commented out. Like I said though, if you uncomment it (or put the same
definition in the code), everything compiles/links fine. So, on the face of it, it would appear that using 'wstring', 'wchar_t', and, presumably,
wide-character functions are possible with Cygwin. Am I missing something?

There is configure:25389: checking for ISO C99 wchar_t support configure:25399: result: no and configure:25841: checking for XPG2 wchar_t support configure:25851: result: yes configure:25866: checking for enabled wchar_t specializations configure:25868: result: no in the log.

The result is:
// Define if code specialized for wchar_t should be used.
/* #undef _GLIBCXX_USE_WCHAR_T */

These symbols are available in libcygwin:
btowc
mbrlen
mbrtowc
mbsinit
mbsrtowcs
wcrtomb
wcscat
wcschr
wcscmp
wcscoll
wcscpy
wcscspn
wcsncat
wcsncmp
wcsncpy
wcspbrk
wcsrchr
wcsrtombs
wcsspn
wcsstr
wctob
wprintf

But these symbols are missing: fgetwc fgetws fputwc fputws fwide fwprintf fwscanf getwc getwchar putwc putwchar swprintf swscanf ungetwc vfwprintf vfwscanf vswprintf vswscanf vwprintf vwscanf wcsftime wcstod wcstof wcstok wcstol wcstoul wcsxfrm wscanf

Then there is in the libstdc++ configure:

    dnl At the moment, only enable wchar_t specializations if all the
    dnl above support is present.

There are quite a lot symbols missing.

Gerrit -- =^..^=