[OT] RE: incompatible types in header files

  Sorry, there was one more thing I should have pointed out:

  You should *never* define *anything* that begins with two underscores,
unless you are writing a compiler or system library.  That's not your
namespace, and you should keep out of it!  Anything beginning with two
underscores _belongs_ to the internals of the compiler/libc implementation,
and if you define such macros / functions / variables / any other kind of
name in your code, your code is no longer valid C according to the language
spec.

[  Nor are you allowed to define anything beginning with 'is', since all
such names are reserved for the is-{space,print,alpha,upper,lower} family of
functions.  The same goes for many of the other library functions; for full
details, see 7.1.3 "Reserved identifiers" in the C language spec, and also
7.26 "Future library directions".  ]

    cheers,
      DaveK