make continues in background

Hello everybody.

I've got a problem with cygwin (DLL: v1.5.11) and Gnu Make v3.80 under
WinXP: When I start Make to compile a huge projekt  (with recursive
calls to Make), Make suddenly returns to the cygwin prompt but
continues to run as background job and I still can see its output
(mixed with the cygwin prompt). This alone would not  bother me, but
this seems to happen even to the recursively called Makes. Result:
some parts get compiled before others (on which they depend).  => I
get an error.

I looked at all Makefiles and there's nothing that could explain that
behavior. On Linux everything's ok. And before you ask: I even don't
send anything to background with '&'.

Even a call to "make clean" shows the same behavior.

Any suggestions what's wrong?

Thanks,
Joerg.