Re: PostInstallLast addons?

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 16:19:36 -0400, "Christopher Faylor"
<cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> said:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 07:28:14PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> >Robert R Schneck schrieb:
> >>
> >>Would it be appropriate for the PostInstallLast part of setup which
> >>"updates info dir" to also run makewhatis?  And perhaps even updatedb?
> >
> >Very unlikely.
> >These are quite massive processes in contrary to _update-info-dir

[...]

> Boy, I started a makewhatis at the start of this message.  It's been
> a few minutes, and it's still going.
>
> <pause>
>
> It took *seven* minutes to complete (cygwin sucks.  why is it so slow?
> discuss amongst yourselves) I guess we really can't add this to the
> setup process.
>
> cgf

How about a few extra checkbox items on the "Cygwin Setup - Create
Icons" screen
in setup.exe?

"Cygwin Setup - Finish

  Create icons
     Have setup create icons for easy access to the Cygwin environment.
     [ ] Create icon on _Desktop
     [ ] Add icon to _Start Menu

  Optional tasks - (may take many minutes!)
     [ ] Build database (makewhatis) of man page short descriptions for
     'whatis' & 'apropos'.
     [ ] Build database (updatedb) of file names for 'locate'.

  Display README information at exit.
     [ ] Display /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ directory of README files.
"