Problem installing PerlMagick 6.02

I am trying to install PerlMagick on my WinXP box with Cygwin, and
everything seems to install (after some tweaking of the build process,
described below) fine.  Except that none of the PerlMagick tests pass and
when I run the demo, I get this error:

PerlMagick-6.02/demo$ make
perl demo.pl
Read...
Exception 435: unable to open image `': No such file or directory at demo.pl
line 14.
Exception 435: unable to open image `': No such file or directory at demo.pl
line 18.
Exception 410: no images defined `label' at demo.pl line 19.
make: *** [all] Error 10

Using the Cygwin ImageMagick package.  I've also built and installed
ImageMagick 6.08 myself and have no problems with it (display and convert
work fine, for example). ImageMagick is installed in /usr/local. The errors
produced from my own ImageMagick install are slightly different:

PerlMagick-6.02/demo$ make
perl demo.pl
Read...
Exception 435: unable to open image `ck': No such file or directory at
demo.pl line 14.
Exception 435: unable to open image `f': No such file or directory at
demo.pl line 18.
Exception 410: no images defined `label' at demo.pl line 19.
make: *** [all] Error 10

It looks like the image name is being truncated somehow ('ck' is the last
part of 'NULL:black' and 'f' is the last part of 'model.gif'), but I don't
know enough about DLLs and perl to guess why that might be happening.

I got PerlMagick-6.02 from CPAN, but I also get the same results with the
PerlMagick included with the ImageMagick source.

I built PerlMagick by running `perl Makefile.PL`, which produced this:

Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ldpstk
... several more libs ...
Writing Makefile for Image::Magick

I don't believe this is what is causing my problem, though; it appears to be
an issue with perl's MakeMakefile not finding Cygwin's DLL.a files, but from
what I've read, all you have to do is re-insert the libs into the Makefile's
EXTRALIBS and LDLOADLIBS variables.  After doing this, I can build
PerlMagick and install it without error -- just some warnings in the vein
of:

Magick.xs: In function `GetList':
Magick.xs:758: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size

I didn't find a solution in the archives or on the Web, so I'm hoping
there's a Cygwin guru who has a suggestion or two on how to get this working
;)

Thanks,

--
Bryan Thrall