Re: whole cygwin release/ distribution issues

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 10:16:51PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>Ah, I see.  You meant something different.  Just a bugzilla or mantis
>"Know issues" site.  A bugtracker.  Couldn't ITP's be tracked also
>then?
>
>Hmm, I'll think of it.  I'd need shell access to sourceware then.

You wouldn't need shell access to use bugzilla.

>>We could use bugzilla, I suppose, and let everyone maintain things, but
>>the prospect of that has always scared me after our experience with the
>>cygwin todo list.  I can see carefully setting up categories for bug
>>reporting and then seeing "setup not work" in the cygwin DLL category.
>
>Very good idea.  But I didn't setup bugzilla lately.  Heard it got
>better.

We already have bugzilla on sourceware.  I even started setting up some
cygwin categories a while ago before I started scaring myself by
imagining the scenarios of cygwin users actually using bugzilla.

I'm sure that there is something frighteningly non-obvious about
bugzilla's use which, while we receive no complaints for gcc, eCos, or
any other project, would cause brain aneurysms for some cygwin users and
would cause an increase in email traffic here.

Regardless, it's probably time to consider using a formal method to
track problems.  The distribution has surely gotten big enough for that.

Actually, I think that one of the 3+ developers even volunteered to
help maintain bugzilla when I mentioned this on cygwin-developers.

cgf