RE: Fixing quoting in Outlook (Was RE: Request for a version/ rev ision/ release number for the whole Cygwin release/ distribution)

Brian Dessent wrote:
> "Hughes, Bill" wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that when I (have to) use outlook for any period
>> there are two main effects: 1) I long for a real mail client.
>> 2) I start to forget that real mail clients thread properly.
>>
>> This isn't a comment about any particular person but if you use
>> outlook a lot you get used to a flat list of emails. MS half-baked
>> attempt at threading 'View'->'By Conversation' doesn't do the job at
>> all well and I don't use it, but it does (allegedly) group mails in
>> the same thread together. It doesn't show the relationship - i.e. no
>> tree structure, but it may help sometimes. And no, I can't change
>> MUA, I would if I could but I can't.
>
> The irony of this message is that your reply contains neither a
> "In-Reply-To:" nor a "References:" header, containing the
> Message-Id of
> the mail to which you're replying, so no proper mail reader
> will thread
> it.  I can't tell if you were demonstrating Outlook's crapulence or if
> whatever program you normally use lacks proper threading
> header support
> as well.  It looks like your message does contain a "X-Msg-Ref:"
> header containing a Message-Id, but the utility of this nonstandard
> header when
> two standard ones already exist is beyond my comprehension.
And mine.
No it wasn't deliberate, I just selected "reply-to-all" for Igor's post, as
I can't associate a folder with a mailing list like a real mua can, and
removed David Christensen's address.
After sending the message I switched my cygwin folder to 'By Conversation'
and it didn't even put my message (from the list) in the same 'conversation'
as the post to which I replied.
I can't change mua as this is work, and I can't even use my Gmail account to
see if that works better - it does thread properly though.

> At some point in Microsoft's past someone must have decided that
> threading by subject-line only was a great idea, and that use
> of one or
> both of the above standard headers for preserving the thread's tree
> structure was a good idea.  Whomever this person is, they need to be
> sought out and methodically made to thread all mailing list
> archives for
> every mailing list that has ever existed, by hand.
Agreed. But you may be giving too much credit.
The matter of threading may never have even been considered.

Bill
--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender as soon as possible and delete the message. Please note that we
are able to, and reserve the right to, monitor e-mail communications
passing through our network.

The views expressed in this email are not that of the company unless
specified within the message.

The inclusion of this footnote indicates that the mail message and any
attachments have been checked for the presence of known viruses.

If you have any comments regarding our policy please direct them to
postmaster@cox.co.uk