Re: Request for a version/ revision/ release number for the whole Cygwin release/ distribution

On Oct  1 05:08, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> 1.  Roll up your sleeves, get to work, and let the list know when you're
> done.  "The maintainers" (yes, I'm looking at you Chris) will at best see
> this as a threat to their little fifedom, and the only "help" you'll get
> will be in the form of snide comments and passive-aggression.  Those who
> aren't openly hostile to your idea will likey rather work on other things.

So, proactively you begin with the sniding comments.  That's the spirit!

Let me state my position.  I'm one of the maintainers of the Cygwin
DLL, which is, so to say, the "kernel" of the "operating system".
I'm voluntarily working on that plus maintaining somewhat about 25
ported software packages.

So, that's what I do.  Creating a distribution with real distribution
version numbers, working on having a professional release cycle etc,
is clearly the job for somebody else.  There is just nobody so far
who has taken this job.

And that's it.  The simple message is already long known and even has
found it's well-deserved place in the OLOCA.

  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.