Re: Installation hangs because asks for input from terminal (Attn: tetex maintainer, setup maintainer)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski writes:
>
> > FWIW, it was the original poster who wrote the below -- all of my comments
> > got snipped out.
>
> Sorry.

No problem, just pointing out the correct attribution. :-)

> > If an empty environment is needed, why not use "env -i" in the postinstall
> > script?
>
> Because that's a bit like fixing the bug inside-out?

Not really.  As Max said, the environment in which the postinstall scripts
run is the same as the one you'd get when you run them on the command line
(albeit from a non-login /bin/sh).  That environment will contain all of
the Windows-set environment variables.  If the tools require that some
variables be unset (because they might throw the tools off, for example),
the variables have to be unset in the postinstall script -- setup.exe
can't be expected to know all of the variables potentially conflicting
with all of the packages.

OTOH, I've already submitted the patch to setup.exe that kills stdin in
postinstall scripts, so that even if some tool asks for input, it'll just
get EOF.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw