Re: What is executable or not...?

linda w wrote:

> When I am in bash, I can type a completion char for my executable and it
> will
> give me a list of all the executables that could complete my command.
>
> The command completion doesn't give a complete listing of all files, but
> oddly,
> it does include  many ".dll's", most that would seem to be
> non-executable...like:

Because to bash any file with the 'x' bit set is an executable.  This is
how it works in *nix / posix and that's what Cygwin is emulating.  I
think if you were to "chmod a-x" your DLLs you'd run into serious
problems so I suggest you not do that.

You should read the bash manual section 8.6:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#SEC112>  You could
probably change the completion behavior so that "*.[dD][lL][lL]" doesn't
match, if it really bothers you.

Brian