This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Making a free Windows NT POSIX subsystem?
- From: Mike Swanson <mikeonthecomputer at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:51:39 -0700
- Subject: Making a free Windows NT POSIX subsystem?
- Reply-to: Mike Swanson <mikeonthecomputer at gmail dot com>
I've read from archived messages that the microsoft POSIX subsystem in
Windows NT is not good enough for Cygwin.
I was curious as to weather it's possible to develop a free POSIX
subsystem for Windows NT and use that instead. I don't know any of
the technical programming details and difficulties with it...
How possible is this? Would this allow case-sensitivity with NTFS, and
certain other features blocked by the Win32 subsystem?
More importantly, how easy would it to maintain an NT POSIX subsystem
port of Cygwin (assuming that a free one would be made with more
functionality than Microsoft's) and the Win32-based Cygwin (very
important for Windows 9x/Me)?
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html