Re: cygrunsrv xinetd problem

Before we go on, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 3:41 PM
> Subject: Re: cygrunsrv xinetd problem
>
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Marcin Lewandowski wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm new to cygwin, and at the beginning I have a problem
> > > running xinetd service.
> >
> > Again, the advice below is very generic, and has to do with services in
> > general, not xinetd in particular.
> >
> > First off, see (and follow) the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
> > <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, particularly the part about providing
> > the output of "cygcheck -svr" as an uncompressed text *attachment*.
>
> OK, here it goes.

Ok, you have system mounts, so my guess was incorrect.  However, you've
provided some more helpful info -- see below.

> > The weird part is that "net start" and "cygrunsrv -S" give different
> > errors, but maybe that's expected.  What does the Windows Event Log show?
>
> For cygrunsrv and for net start the same:
> "Nie mozna znalezc opisu dla identyfikatora zdarzenia ( 0 ) w zródle (
> xinetd ). Byc moze komputer lokalny nie ma wymaganych informacji
> rejestru lub plików DLL potrzebnych do wyswietlania komunikatów z
> komputera zdalnego. Mozesz uzyc flagi /AUXSOURCE= do pobrania tego
> opisu; wiecej informacji mozna znalezc w Pomocy i obsludze technicznej.

All the above says is (using the equivalent message from the English
version of Windows, though the translation from Polish is similar enough):

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( httpd ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
and Support for details."

That just means that the application posted an event with the default id
of 0 without providing a way of decoding that id.  You can safely ignore
this part.

> Nastepujace informacje sa czescia zdarzenia: xinetd : PID 3680 :
> starting service `xinetd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted."

This, however, says:

"The following information is part of the event: xinetd : PID 3680 :
starting service `xinetd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted."

Which is the actual message from xinetd, and is *very* helpful.  This
basically says that the service manager couldn't execute the xinetd
program when running as SYSTEM.  Check the permissions on both
/usr/sbin/xinetd and /bin/cygwin1.dll (and whatever other DLLs the xinetd
program depends on -- see the output of "cygcheck /usr/sbin/xinetd.exe").
Make sure all of them are executable by SYSTEM.

> I guess it's not really helpful, translating to english it says: "blah
> blah blah, I have no information to display the message".

See above.

> > > When I run xinetd manually, it starts normally, but since I run it as a
> > > normal user,
> >
> > Bingo.  Here's a guess (pending the output of "cygcheck -svr"): you
> > installed Cygwin for "Just Me" instead of "All Users".  Therefore, the
> > SYSTEM user doesn't see your mounts, and can't find the files.  Re-mount
> > all your mounts as system mounts (Google for "cygwin remount system" for a
> > recipe) and try starting your service again.
>
> Seems like I installed cygwin for "all users". I even reinstalled it now
> to make sure, but it doesn't help.

See above.

> Here's mount result, if it can help:
> [snip]

This was part of the "cygcheck -svr" output, which is why we ask for it.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw