RE: Creating a multi-volume archive with tar

[...]
> It's a bug in the Cygwin DLL.
>
> > If it's not currently available, what are my options? :-)
>
> Install a developers snapshot of Cygwin (http://cygwin.com/snapshots/)
> or wait for the 1.5.11 release which is due VSN.
>

> Corinna
[...]

That certainly did the trick - thanks :-) Sorry for the newbie questions.

Next step is I would like to backup some very large files to DVD. I have
some video files (>13GByte) that I would like to backup across multiple DVD
discs (-R or -RW - whichever works :-)).

Has anybody used a DVD burner as a backup mechanism and how do you work out
the device name to use with tar i.e. I found that a floppy is /dev/fd0 -
what would a DVD burner device name be? Is there a command that displays
device names?

Thanks
Peter

Warning:  Copyright ResMed.  Where the contents of this email and/or attachment includes materials prepared by ResMed, the use of those
materials is subject exclusively to the conditions of engagement between ResMed and the intended recipient.

This communication is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
By the use of email over the Internet or other communication systems, ResMed is not waiving either confidentiality of, or legal
privilege in,the content of the email and of any attachments.
If the recipient of this message is not the intended addressee, please call ResMed immediately on  +61 2 9886 5000 Sydney, Australia.