Re: cygwin 1.4.0 - fork stops working ("permission denied")

On Jul 29 11:45, George Morin wrote:
> I am currently running an application which uses
> fork/exec to run various background jobs. Every once
> in a while (less than .5%) I've found that fork fails
> and with strerror have received a permission denied
> error. From that point on, all subsequent forks will
> fail. In between my fork and exec the child process
> changes directories and redirects stdin, stdout and
> stderr. I have been unable to reproduce the above
> behaviour in a scaled down program. I believe this
> code has worked without incident on a unix box and has
> only recently been discovered now that the code has
> been ported to cygwin. I poked around google and the
> archives and haven't found an acceptable solution. I
> haven't noticed any unusual behaviour with my process
> ids (I'm not using AOF) or system resources. I'm
> running cygwin with Win2k and gcc 3.3.1. Can someone
> please offer suggestions for further investigation or
> perhaps a possible workaround? I have been able to use
> spawn() instead of fork/exec and it seemed to work
> fine but I don't know how to include the preprocessing
> that was done between the fork and exec. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,
> -Garrick

Sure you're running Cygwin 1.4.0?  What does uname -a report?  Or better,
read http://cygwin.com/problems.html and follow the instructions.

Your description is not enough to give any hint.  Did you try your
application under 1.5.10?  Can you create a simple(tm) testcase(tm)
to reproduce the problem?

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.