Subversion eol-corrupting jar files on update

I'm having trouble with the svn in Cygwin corrupting jar files on update
or checkout.  It's doing an eol translation.  I've specified ".jar" in
my svn properties, to indicate that it should use the "eol-type" of
"native".  My "mount" table shows everything in "textmode".  Do I have
to change to binary in order for this to work?  I would have thought the
eol-type setting in the subversion config should deal with this.