Re: UNC Pathname Handling within Applications

On Jul 16 14:06, Thorsten Haude wrote:
> I think some people might see the surprising path, *think* the
> software is broken and stop using it. Another problem ist the toolkit.
>
> I agree that the leading extra slash should be supported, but it might
> not be as easy as it sounds.

Thorsten,

even if I repeat other postings, please note that double slashes are
absolutely fine according to the standards.  Leading double slashes may
have a special meaning on POSIX implementations and the *well* *known*
Windows specific meaning is an UNC path for accessing network (CIFS)
shares.  Honestly, there should be no surprise in that fact to users
of your software.  If you really want to mangle file names in your
application instead of just leaving them alone, then your application
should honor that fact, to be *portable*.

This isn't us being mean, as usual, that's just fact.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.