COM Port Question

Hi,
?
I have installed Cygwin on a Dell PC with windows
2000, and I am trying to sent AT command to an
external modem attached on COM1.
?
My questions are:
?
1) What do I need to do for cygwin to recognize COM1?
2) Is there a utility provided for the purposes.
?
My ultimate goal is to send SMS message using Kannel
and a GSM modem. I understand this is not the right
place of Kannel questions, however I will like to ask
for help on Cygwin recognizing COM1 port.
?
I appreciate any assistance that you might provide.
Also, I have searched google without success. If any
document that provides assistance, please provide me a
link. Again, I appreciate any assistance you might
provide.
?
Regards,
Mona