Re: two instances of a.exe on dual processor - still only 50% performance

Ken Thompson wrote:
At 01:24 PM 7/7/2004, Rolf Campbell wrote:

Sorry Brian, that is bogus. I'm running one HT processor right now. The combined CPU utilization is not an actual display of usage, but theoretical usage, based on scheduling. It's really how much of the CPU was NOT being used by the idle task, and given that there is only one CPU, if some process is taking up 99% of it, and some other process takse up the other 1% on the other 'hyper thread' then the idle task will not be able to run at all on either virtual cpu. Thus Task Manager will (and does) show 100% dual CPU utilization.

-Rolf

Sorry Rolf, but at least on my HT processor running Windows XP pro, the reporting of utilization by task manager is exactly as described by Brian.

Strange, I'm running WinXP pro, all patched up. And if I run two CPU bound programs (cygwin or not) my utilization goes to 100% (easily).