Re: Delete /var/log/setup.log.postinstall* ??

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

> At 05:53 PM 6/24/2004, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a setup.log.postinstall* file that is >1GB big.
> >Since I'm running out of space, what happens if I delete this file?
> >Is it save? Why is it so big?
> >
> >Thanks for any hints
>
> It's a log file for the output of the postinstall scripts that each
> package has.  It's supposed to be deleted by default.  Maybe if
> you had trouble while running 'setup' last time and it couldn't
> finish.  In that case, it would get left behind.  You can delete it.

Actually, there is supposed to be a new such file created for every
postinstall script setup runs.  So, the size of the file above indicates a
runaway script to me.  It would be interesting to find out exactly which
script got into an infinite loop.  Regardless of whether the file's
contents are informative, though, it is certainly safe to delete it.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/