Re: Ctrl-Z fails to suspend Windows programs

Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> writes:

 > Why should Cygwin zsh have such a feature and make a difference
 > between a GUI and a non GUI application?

Two reasons:
1) Most native Windows apps don't read from or write to the invoking shell window
   - it doesn't add much value to run them in the "foreground".

2) Once started (in the foreground) it's not possible to suspend such a
   program.

 > When you invoke a non GUI application, you won't return to the prompt unless
 > the application has finished. Same with zsh under Linux. If you start a GUI
 > without a "&" you don't get a prompt.

Yes, but the key difference is that on Linux you can always get back to the
shell window by suspending the GUI app with ^Z (or whatever is your susp char).

 > And you still can [Ctrl]+[C] the GUI app which you couldn't when it was run
 > in the background.

The problem is that I often don't want to have to terminate the GUI app just to
get my shell prompt back.

    --- John