Re: man pages formating (msg to Chris)

As a way to get past the excessive domain stuff, you can always grab a subset. Ex:

mkpasswd -d abaton -u rhannah

I don't see any similar feature for mkgroup...

aoratos wrote:

Larry Hall wrote:

At 11:03 AM 6/16/2004, you wrote:

When I view man pages it doesn't format them properly, instead it shows codes like ESC[1m . . . how do I fix this?

Check your '/usr/share/misc/man.config' file. Make sure PAGER is set to '/usr/bin/less -isrR'.

Chris, I am having the same problems you just posted (man pages messed up and .bashrc problems).

I have confirmed that my .bashrc and /usr/share/misc/man.conf (not man.config on my machine) are in the correct places and have the correct contents. I believe my problem is related to permissions, the config files are not being read even though I am the owner. While checking Larry Hall's suggestion (thanks) I could not read the man.conf file until I did a chmod on it. I am guessing my problem is related to "ntsec" and the fact that whenever I try to run mkpasswd and mkgroup as required, they die or timeout because I am on a global enterprise domain.

I'm sorry this really isn't an answer for you, but I thought it might help your own troubleshooting.

Aoratos