RE: log2 as function not as macro

  And the answer there will probably be that if your code depends on whether
this function is a macro or a real function then your code is not valid C.
The C language spec specifically says that implementations are free to
provide library functions as macros as well as functions.  See

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/math.h.html

and in particular the lines that say "The following shall be declared as
functions and may also be defined as macros. Function prototypes shall be
provided."

  So if your code has a problem with that, your code does not comply with
the C language spec.

    cheers,
      DaveK