grep problems

All,

I was having some trouble using grep to look for text in files.

>From some tests it looks like meta characters cause the problem to show
itself :

C:\temp>type test.txt
text

C:\temp>grep test test.txt
text

C:\temp>grep text *.txt
test.txt:text

C:\temp>grep text \temp\test.txt
text

C:\temp>grep text \temp\*.txt
GREP: temp*.txt: No such file or directory

C:\temp>grep text ..\temp\*.txt
GREP: ..temp*.txt: No such file or directory

C:\temp>grep text c:\temp\*.txt
GREP: c:\temp\*.txt: No such file or directory

C:\temp>grep text ../temp/*.txt
../temp/test.txt:hello

C:\temp>grep text /temp/*.txt
GREP: /temp/*.txt: No such file or directory

C:\temp>grep text c:/temp/*.txt
c:/temp/test.txt:text

I have upgraded to latest release of Cygwin and this has not changed things.
I have tried the above on a Windows 98 and Windows XP system as well - same
results.

Any ideas how I get around this problem ?

Mark
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the Gwent Healthcare NHS Trust unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, delete it from your system, do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way. Please notify the sender immediately of this error. Further communication will signify your consent to this.