temp directory handling in Cygwin (bash/zsh)

Is there a change in the handling of the $TMP directory in recent
Cywin?! I never set this environment variable in my .zshrc or .bashrc
and nevertheless it alway pointed to /tmp (or at at least all Cygwin
applications I used created their temp files in /tmp. Now I noticed
that $TMP points to /cygdrive/c/DOKUME~1/thorsten/LOKALE~1/Temp and
some apps fail because of that (for instance "rebaseall").

/cygdrive/c/DOKUME~1/thorsten/LOKALE~1/Temp is in fact
/cygdrive/c/Dokumente und Einstellungen/thorsten/Lokale Anwendungsdaten/Temp

and rebaseall fails because of the blanks in the path.

% uname -rv
1.5.10s(0.116/4/2) 20040604 19:56:17

Thorsten