[users's guide alert] Re: Textmode mounts broken in cygwin 1.5.10-3

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:38:38PM +0200, W. Tuchan wrote:
> Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> >>If that is the reaseon then 1.5.10-3 behaves different that 1.5.9.
> >>Unfortunately I cannot change the path easyly because it is generated
> >>from nmake.
> >

> >I think Cygwin always meant to consider paths with a \ as Windows
> >paths, but that was not consistently enforced until 1.5.10
> >AFAIK there is no way to specify a default for Windows paths.
> >Perhaps the cygdrive choice could apply to them as well, but
> >changing anything in this area is sure to break something, somewhere.
> >
> >Pierre
>
> As I can see from other post as well the last change has already broken
> something. And the reasoning is not clear for me. Are Windows paths not
> considered because Windows files do not contain Windows style endlines?
> Or ist it because unix programs tolerating Windows paths should be able
> to cope with them.

It was done on 2004-03-25 to fix some other problem with Windows paths
that had been discussed on the list around that time.
The general philosophy is that Windows paths should be left alone (no mount
table processing).
By the way, the User's guide still states that the default is "text".
It has been "binary" for the last couple of years.

> By the way I have always wondered how cygwin distinguishes between text
> and binary files on a textmode mount.

It relies on the application asking for a binary/text open in open() or
fopen(), or being linked with binmode.o or one of its friends.
The mount modes are only used as a last recourse, just before taking the
default (see fhandler_base::set_flags).

Pierre