Re: cygwin and cvs

Mark,

It's usually best to post questions to the Cygwin mailing list, as this
allows both the questions and the answers to be archived, and also gets
you access to the combined expertise of the list, which is larger than
that of any one person.  I've redirected this message to the list, and set
the Reply-To accordingly.

More inline below.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Rutten, Mark wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> A while ago now (Oct 2002) you posted to the cygwin mailing list with
> the subject:
>
> cvs unable to remove lock directory; rm -r works
>
> I have been using cvs under cygwin for a while now and have only just
> come across this problem.  Did you find a solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

It would have helped if you'd included the URL of the message you're
referring to (in the web archives).  Luckily, I do recall the problem (for
the archives: I had a CVS repository on a Samba drive, and cvs was unable
to clean up lock directories that it created in the repository).

The thread you refer to should have included a summary of my debug
attempts.  Due to lack of debugging time, I never found a real solution,
but used the following workaround: since I had full access to the
repository, I changed the value of LockDir in CVSROOT/config to
/tmp/igor/cvslock (a directory that I created on my local disk).  I don't
know if you can do this with a repository that you don't have admin access
to...

FYI, this problem happened with a very old version of Cygwin.  I haven't
tried to reproduce it with newer versions.  Unless you're using the very
latest version of Cygwin, I suggest upgrading and trying again.  If you
are using the latest, and are willing to invest some debugging time,
perhaps you'll be luckier in locating the culprit.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/