Re: PRINTER variable not exported in /etc/profile was: Printing under Cygwin on W2K

Steven,

Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header -- I set it for
a reason.  By keeping your replies on the list, you have access to the
combined expertise of the list, which is larger than that of any one
person.  It also saves the questions and the answers in the web archives,
so that others with similar problems can benefit from the exchange.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Steven Read wrote:

> Mr Pechtchanski,
>
> Thanks very much for your reply. According to the Windows documentation
> I have seen this type of connection is known as "Internet Printing
> Protocol" and was first defined late in Windows 95 (I believe July 99.)
> Right now the printer shows up in Windows under the Printers Control
> Panel attached to port http://... but I have since tried assigning it to
> a LPT style port but the Capture option does not appear when I define
> it.

This doesn't answer my question.  What I asked was whether, when you
needed to print from a regular Windows application (e.g., notepad), you
referred to the printer by some name, or by its http://...-style address.
My guess is that it's by name, and the http://... address is hidden in the
protocol/port/driver specification in printer properties.  In this case,
you'll need to use the same name as you use in, say, notepad, for the
$PRINTER value.  If you can't print to this printer from regular Windows
applications, then it's a Windows configuration problem, and has nothing
to do with Cygwin.

> We are on a Novell LAN and my guess is that is only valid for
> printers attached via "MAP" or "NET USE." I know it is not a Novell
> issue because I tried this on my Wife's XP box at home and she only has
> the standard Microsoft network client installed.
>
> At first I thought this to be a bug in Cygwin because from the error
> message displayed from the lpr command they assume everything to be
> connected using the \\server\share style construct and flip the forward
> slashes to back slashes which is normally correct.

You can also use local printer names.

> After reading your message I have tried a few different things outside
> of Cygwin but have yet to get anything to work (Windows command
> interpreter gives a syntax error and, Write and Notepad say I cannot
> save to that URL.) Trying to open that URL in a browser it downloads a
> web page with "411 Length Required" which makes sense if it truly is a
> device channel.

You're probably using the wrong method.  You have to use the local name
that appears in the "Printers" settings box.

> From the Novell side (this doesn't help from home though) there is
> another path to this printer but I need to find out what it is. I have
> gotten used to coming in from the URL and forgotten the queue name (and
> it does not help that they just finished moving everything around due to
> a LAN reorganization.)

If you have a driver for an IPP port on your Windows machine, the programs
won't care which URL the printer resides at -- only its local name that's
attached to the IPP port.

Again, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.

> Steven,
>
> Replies inline below.
>
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Steven Read wrote:
>
> > Is there a "secret handshake" for http://... style printers? My printer
> > is an IPP connection and lpr gives me an error message saying it cannot
> > find http:\123.456.789.123:80\ipp. I have tried several different
> > combinations of forward and back slashes but to no avail.
>
> As far as I understand, Cygwin is able to access the Windows printers that
> are either defined on your machine or shared via the Windows mechanisms.
> Usually, whenever you have a printer with some type of connection on the
> network, Windows needs to be aware of it to be able to print to it.  Do
> Windows applications on your machine allow you to print to the printer
> using the http://... style address, or do you need to refer to it using
> another name?  If the latter, you'll need to use that same name with
> Cygwin tools (e.g., "PRINTER='<printer name>' lpr <filename>").  If the
> former, this feature is not implemented in Cygwin.
>
> > I am running Cygwin 1.5.9(0.112/4/2) on a W2K box with Service Pack 4
> > plus a bunch of hotfixes.
> >
> > Steven Read - 812/237-3362 - s-read@indstate.edu
> > Indiana State University

> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

> [snip]
> > >
> > > Either "lpr" or, if you want to get fancier, "a2ps" or "enscript".
> > >       Igor

HTH,
	Igor
--