From: Larry Hall [mailto:cygwin-lh@cygwin.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 1:06 AM
To: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID); 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: Re: cp -p gives error message

At 02:20 PM 6/4/2004, you wrote:
>$ cp -p foo /h/Home/
>/bin/cp: setting permissions for `/h/Home/DW/foo': Permission denied
>
>This happens when copying to a network drive but not to /c .
>
>The datestamps get copied over.
>execute permission (as seen by the "*" which trails the file name when
doing
>ls -F) does not get copied over.
>
>I do not remember having this error message before upgrading to cygwin
>1.5.10.  Fileutils is 4.1-2.
>
>Since all I care about is the datestamp, I'm not asking for this to be
fixed
>(though it would be nice), but it might affect other people or be
indicative
>of other problems.

I'm afraid you get 40 lashes with a wet noodle for not following:

;-)

OK, my curiosity would have been satisfied by simply knowing what the
contents of your CYGWIN environment variable was but the attached output
of 'cygcheck -s -r -v' (as the above web page requests) would have told
me that and more .

I'll let you off with a warning this time. ;-)

Is this what it feels like to be a cop? ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746