Re: decoding sshd failure

Someone wrote:

Below is a fragment of output from sshd -d -d -d

Can someone tell me why it doesn't like my publickey? I think I've done
everything right, but no joy. I can login using the password just fine.

Sorry, I missed the start of this thread so I don't know who the original author is but I have some suggestions:

I had a problem with ssh not finding my .ssh directory. It turned out that ssh gets your home directory from /etc/passwd and not from $HOME and in my case, for perverse Windows-related reasons I don't understand, this was different. Editing /etc/passwd fixed it. Check the path that ssh is reporting that its looking in and check that this is the right place.

Also, I had an embarrassing error the first time I set this up - being British I spelt authorized_keys with an 's' not a 'z'. It took me a while to spot the problem.

You don't say what your directory structure is, so could one of these be the problem?

Andy

--
Andy Rushton, Southampton, UK

  Be careful or be road-kill.