Re: exim issue

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Ken Dibble wrote:

> I know this isn't a cygwin only problem, but my research has failed to
> produce an instance of this ever happening.
>
> Common sense says it is just more likely to happen in a NT/XP
> environment with cygwin.
>
> For reference, this is exim 4.32, downloaded last week.
>
> In the exim 4.32 source (spool_in.c) the following line causes an error
> condition if the user who instantiated the exim process has a space in
> their name.
>
> if (sscanf(CS big_buffer, "%s %ld %ld", originator, &uid, &gid) != 3)
>   goto SPOOL_FORMAT_ERROR;
>
> I'm sure a workaround is obvious, I just can't see it.

A proper workaround has already been posted, but the above is indeed a
rather fundamental bug in exim (or, rather, in the format of the exim
spool file)...  The problem is that exim uses a space as a separator for
the "UNAME UID GID" line, and space is a valid username character.  The
problem exists on other systems as well, but manifested itself on Cygwin
only because usernames with spaces are more common.  One solution is to
use an invalid username character as a separator (e.g., '|').  I doubt
there could be a Cygwin-specific fix, though, since that would make the
spool files incompatible across systems.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu