Re: xemacs shell problem

Some old XEmacs (21.1 era) was handling this correctly, so I believe
the problem is in XEmacs.  I haven't had a chance to trace XEmacs code
yet.  I have been using the following work around.  None of which is
perfect.

1)  Stick with an old XEmacs.

2)  Do run /usr/local/bin/xemacs.  You can search google for cygwin
run.  However, although it works the first a few times,  the problem
re-appears after a while.

3)  Instead of compile with nmake -k (e.g.), do ssh localhost "cd $PWD; nmake -k"

--

	Rui-Tao Dong
	rdong@trestlecorp.com

 sly5+gmane> Hi!  After posting this message to emacs.xemacs.windows
 sly5+gmane> and following the advices I have been told, I found out
 sly5+gmane> that this happens only with Xemacs Cygwin build. Thus, I
 sly5+gmane> hope it would be a relevant discussion for this group.

 sly5+gmane> *the problem setting* The shell-mode(using bash) at
 sly5+gmane> Xemacs(21.4.15) called from Bash (2.05b.0(1)-release)
 sly5+gmane> running Cygwin(1.42) on WindowsXP-SP1

 sly5+gmane> *the ISSUE* Error messages from certain Windows console
 sly5+gmane> programs (such as the Fortran compilers LaheyF95 and
 sly5+gmane> Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6) (hereafter I will refer these
 sly5+gmane> as Compiler) are not displayed at the
 sly5+gmane> shell-buffer. Instead the errors are flushed to a DOS
 sly5+gmane> console that dissappears immidiately after the
 sly5+gmane> compilation is finished and the regular messages (logo
 sly5+gmane> and stuff) are displayed at the shell-buffer as usual.

 sly5+gmane> *complications* - When the Compiler is invoked directly
 sly5+gmane> from Bash, everything works fine, all messages are there
 sly5+gmane> and in fact, output redirection works as expected. The
 sly5+gmane> error mesages can be redirected with the usual 2>myfile.
 sly5+gmane> - This issue does not occur with all console applications
 sly5+gmane> (for instance I tried with MSVC++6/7 and they are working
 sly5+gmane> fine).  Among the ones I tested, only these fortran
 sly5+gmane> Compilers has this behaviour. This is also why I fail to
 sly5+gmane> find a reproducible example for submitting as a test case
 sly5+gmane> here (though, you may download a trial version from
 sly5+gmane> http://www.lahey.com/ and test with a erroneous Fortan
 sly5+gmane> code, if you really agree that this is a significant
 sly5+gmane> issue and worth the trouble).  Here is a sample failing
 sly5+gmane> FORTRAN code !====================== program fail end
 sly5+gmane> program nail !====================== - As I mentioned
 sly5+gmane> before this problem happens only with Xemacs Cygwin
 sly5+gmane> build. Native-Windows build is working fine.

 sly5+gmane> My question is, it seems that the output from the
 sly5+gmane> Compiler is flushed to that blinking console, what may be
 sly5+gmane> the cause of this? Are there other outputs other than
 sly5+gmane> STDERR and STDOUT, that Cygwin is handling properly, but
 sly5+gmane> the shell-mode in Xemacs is failing?

 sly5+gmane> Thank you so very much!!  - Levent

--

	Rui-Tao Dong
	(949) 673-1907 x116

ALL INFORMATION IN THIS EMAIL OR ATTACHED TO THIS EMAIL IS CONFIDENTIAL.