Re: Request for GCC maintainer (DWARF 2)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On May 17 13:46, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 12:39:30PM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
> > >If/When you get around to releasing a new gcc package (presumably 3.4+),
> > >please consider including this patch for DWARF 2 support:
> > >
> > >http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-04/msg02004.html
> > >
> > >which has already been approved and committed to the 3.5 branch.  It
> > >should apply cleanly with minimal effort and would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > >If you have already seen this on the gcc-patches mailing list, please
> > >accept my apology for the redundant information.
> > >
> > >Thanks for listening.
> >
> > Just to add my 2c, I am very anxious to finally get Dwarf2 support into
> > gcc, so I would urge Gerrit to apply this patch.
>
> Will DWARF 2 become the default debug format for Cygwin or will DWARF 2
> only be available when explicitely requested on the command line?

The latter, at least until we decide otherwise ;-).

I should add that a new binutils release is a prerequisite for the
configury in the gcc patch to trigger and enable DWARF 2 support.  Also, a
new gdb is required to do anything usefull (one gdb patch is still
pending due to an AWOL COFF maintainer).

Just more FYI.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer