Re: How to force Setup.exe to behave?

"Lex Ein" <lex_ein@f-m.fm> wrote:
>Please help me figure out how to get Setup.exe to STOP TRYING TO INSTALL
>X.
>Setup.exe won't stop trying to snag unnecessary components.
>What file(s) to I have to edit manually to make this happen?
>What can I manually delete?
>It's a remote system, so I can't uninstall Cygwin without losing control.

 I had this same problem (seemed to appear along with Xorg replacing Xfree but I could be wrong). I examined every application I had installed for requiring X and couldnt' find anything.
 Unfortunately the only way I managed to fix it was to completely remove cygwin and reinstall.
 If you can't uninstall cygwin, I suggest you do a install from local directory rather than install from internet - that way you can control what files are available. You would of course have to manually update any files from an ftp server..
 It setup had a column "required by" that listed what each package was a dependancy of - that would make it easy to find these kind of issues. (that or a dependancy tree).

Regards, Errol

btw, it would be great if SETUP.EXE would cache setup.bz2. That way it could check the server for a newer version and not download it if not required (date/filesize matched or similar).
(hey, even 70k takes a while on a modem!)