Re: user-specific mounts

Hello, Igor!

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 02:10:40PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> However, including the standard problem
> reporting information would have shown us whether what your system thinks
> its state is is the same as what you think it is.

:)

> I would probably read the above as "HKCU overrides HKLM", but I agree, it
> could be clearer.  In the spirit of "WJM", I have to add that "there's
> always the code"(tm). :-)

Eh, there were times when I could spend a couple of days fixing some
annoying behaviour or just reading the source. In this specific case, I
asked to see whether anyone could quickly suggest me anything, otherwise
I would postpone this issue for a couple of months :/ .

> Even the partial output you attached already shows an indication of a
> problem -- you said that "id" exists under /cygdrive/*c*/cygwin/bin (why
> not /bin, BTW?), whereas cygcheck has *g*:/cygwin/bin in the path.

Well, I have changed the setup a couple of times since yesterday, and
wrote the mail with the yesterday's state in mind. For some reason,
cygcheck reflected the current state :) , sorry for this. So, today my
system mounts are under c:\opt\med, and user mounts -- under g:\cygwin.
And yes, id exists in /cygdrive/g/cygwin/bin. It is there because I want
to have the main installation there, and run services from some other
directory, that I can frequently create, test, and delete.

> I would try starting from scratch with the mounts -- first get a working
> system (for one user) with user mounts, then add *one* system mount and
> see if the user mount overrides it.  If it does, add more system mounts.
> It would help to save the output of "mount -m" at certain points along the
> way, so that you can restore the mount state to that which you *know*
> works.

Ok, I'll try this, too.

With kind regards,
Baurjan.