Several problems with ssh and X

Dear Cygwinners,

I have setup the Cygwin environment as my X-server for working on several
workstations and PC clusters.  It is fine in most aspects, considering that it
is free.

I have written the following scripts in my .bash_profile to control the
initiation of XWin.  This is trivial for experts, but perhaps it can help some
beginners.

if [ ps -a | grep /usr/X11R6/bin/xwin | egrep -v grep >/dev/Null ]; then
  echo "X Windows server already started"
else
  xwin :0 -multiwindow -nokeyhook -swcursor&
fi
export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
xhost +

Of course you should modify the options to meet your own need.

Now I wish to ask if you have experiences on similar problems of mine.  The
first thing is that, when I make ssh connections to other machines from the
bash shell (instead of say xterm), the Ctrl-C key behaves badly.  If I need to
press Ctrl-C in some remote program, it simply kills the whole ssh session.
In xterm, however, no shuch problem exists.  Is there a way to solve this
problem?  I would have use xterm instead, but I do not know how to change the
font size yet, and the characters in xterms are kind of too small on my screen.

Second, there are some problem with combined keys in some applications.  I
mean, for example, pressing Alt-F to get the File menu in most applications.
In some programs this works fine, but for nedit, the editor I love the best,
the Alt-... keys simply do not work.  I used XWin32 before (but it is not
free) and with some settings the left-Alt key works fine for all programs.  I
cannot find suggestions on how to setup Cygwin/X to ensure correct behavior of
Alt keys, although actually it works for some programs like gftp.  Maybe you
can help me on this.

The third, and maybe not so important problem, is the incompatibility with
dual monitor.  I have two monitors, and the main monitor is on the right-hand
side.  The second monitor is smaller than the main monitor.  When I start some
x programs, they come up in the main monitor.  A portion of the window of the
program will be empty (on the right-hand side).  If I move them to the second
monitor, they become normal.  I think that's because Cygwin/X only know the
size of the main monitor, but it calculates the screen size from the left-most
of both monitors.  In my case, it happens to be the left-most end of the seond
monitor.  Therefore, the part of the window that is beyond certain distance
from the left-most end of the left monitor are not redrawn, resulting in a
blank part in the window.  I think this can only be solved in later versions.

That's it.  Thank you for the patience reading this.  Happy Cygwinning!!

Kuo Kan Liang
ICR, Kyoto University