Re: How to set the colors of terminfo's standout mode?

Reini Urban wrote:
> Frank Slootweg schrieb:
> >   A better solution would be one which 1) does *not* hardcode the
> > colors, 2) *does* use inverse video ("7") and 3) displays
> > white-on-black.
>
> Oh god, this man is insisting.
> The default white color on terms without being able to change faces is
> lightgrey!
> White is used for bold on such stupid terms, which is a more important
> emphasis to have than white.
>
> Or how to define bold white then?
> Some better terminals, like rxvt, know how to render Courier-Bold or
> Lucida-Bold, but CMD.EXE not.
> Since our default is CMD.EXE and not rxvt, your desiderations (white
> on black) are bogus.

  Well, as my test showed, I *can* do white by bolding ("1"). The point
is that when combined with inverse/reverse video ("7"), the background
color is not black but dark-grey. What is your explanation for the
background being dark-grey for inverse/reverse video?

  As to my "bogus desiderations", the concept of inverse (or reverse)
video already exists since the seventies (or earlier), and, as I wrote
in my basenote and later reproduced with simple echo(1) commands, Cygwin
B20 has *no* problems with it, so it is not a question of the 'terminal'
(i.e. CMD.EXE in my case) being too limited, but of Cygwin.

> > A better solution would be one which 1) does *not* hardcode the
> > colors, 2) *does* use inverse video ("7") and 3) displays
> > white-on-black.
>
> The only better solution is to use a term (rxvt) which can do this.
> Use TERM=rxvt-cygwin-native then and not TERM=cygwin.

  See above.