Re: AS Perl versus cygwin Perl

zzapper schrieb:
I still use Active State Perl rather than cygwin's native Perl, the
reason being that I have trouble intalling Perl modules via > cpan in
particular the MySQL DBIs & DBD, cpan keeps finding other modules
which need installing before giving up. Whereas the AS PPM (Perl
Package Manager) works everytime.

Because this just installs the binary for one special version.
CPAN installs it from source for every possible perl combination and platform.

Is this just my experience? (I've tried disabling AS-Perl before doing
my installs)

DBD::mysql still has a cygwin install problem, that it expects the mysql client with sockets to work. And the default host is still "localhost" and not "127.0.0.1". (Yes, I've reported that before, sent patches, often enough)

via cpan you have to do:
cpan look DBD::mysql
perl Makefile.PL --testhost=127.0.0.1
make
make test
make install

Works fine for me:
t/mysql............FAILED tests 46-48
        Failed 3/68 tests, 95.59% okay
t/mysql.t                 68    3   4.41%  46-48
(Haven't checked why this fails. Doesn't seem to be dramatic)

You may want to symlink the mysql include and lib locations to the path where CPAN expects them.
I have:
cflags = -I'/usr/local/include/mysql'
libs = -L/usr/local/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt -lm
At the end I wrote my own mysql_config.

Once your cpan installation base is fine you have about 100 times more packages to install than via PPM. Even via cpanplus. Just Module::Build (and a lot dependent packages) had problems the last time I tried.
But I've stopped automatic cpantest'ing for cygwin now, because I'm on a different machine now. And I was the only cpantester for this platform AFAIK.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/