Nessus Performance on Cygwin

Hi,

I have ported Nessus (a network security scanner on Unix) to
Cygwin, and I was running some performance tests on it.
Here are some observations about the Cygwin port performance:

The performance gap between the Linux and Cygwin versions is
large - the Cygwin port takes at least 10 times longer than the
linux version. Also, the Cygwin port takes longer if more plugins
are run simultaneously i.e., it performances better with one plugin
at a time than with ten plugins at a time (ten plugins = 10 fork() calls
and 10 processes communicating over a pipe with the spawning
process). I ran a total of 800 plugins with 1 plugin at a time, and
it took 12 minutes on Cygwin! The linux version took just under a
minute to finish. On linux, performance actually increases with running
more plugins simultaneously.

I am trying to find out why Nessus performance on Cygwin degrades
when we run more plugins at a time.  Nessus uses a lot of fork() calls,
along with socket and pipe IO, and I was wondering whether these
operations contribute to the large performance gap on Cygwin.

Has anyone tried similar programs on Cygwin.. if anyone has suggestions/
comments/analysis on improving Nessus performance, I would be glad
to hear them.

Thanks,
 -- Abhijit