zsh & make

Hi

After having asked very general about other people's experiences
with zsh/make under cygwin some weeks ago, this time a little bit
more concrete: (although admittedly no as concrete as I wish...)

When building my project with make under zsh and looking at its
build-log afterwards, I noticed that the following error occured:

[begin error]
gmake[5]: Entering directory `/c/work/Projects/XYZ/categories/TrxTables/unittest'
basename: too few arguments
Try `basename --help' for more information.
(last two lines repeated 8 times)
[end error]

We use 'basename' only in one place in the Makefiles and it looks
like this:

COMPONENT_NAME = $(shell basename `pwd`)

Since basename claims that it doesn't have enough arguments, I conclude
that `pwd` returns an empty string for some reason.

It always happens in the same directories. (I tried to shuffle them)
But the directorynames are not really special. And their depth also
varies. (and their content also doesn't look special ;o)

'pwd' in an interactive shell in these directories works correct.
When starting a sub-build in a subdirectory (and therefore only build
part of the application) the error is gone.

I started 'make' under the cygwin-distributed zsh and a self-compiled one
with the exact same results. No such problem under bash though. Also no
problem under zsh under a different platform. (Solaris in our case)

Any idea how to debug this further?

Daniel Clausen