re: FSF gmake 3.81beta1 and cygwin's gmake 3.80

Hi all,

[This is continuation from a previous thread of attempting to build the latest
make from the FSF CVS tip under cygwin.]

As it turns out, there are a bunch of conflicts between the 3-way merge between
the latest cygwin gmake (3.80 tip) and the current FSF CVS tip (3.81beta1). When
I tried my best guess at the common base (2002-10-5 from the FSF CVS tree), I
get 12 files with conflicts. Unfortunately several places required manual
fixing since the intent of the cygwin's changes conflict with the intent of
the FSF changes.

Scanning the files that did not result in blatant conflicts did not give a
very warm fuzzy feeling either.

Also, when I build the pure cygwin 3.80 gmake from unmodified sources, I still get
3 test failures and one broken test. Looking at the diff of the test results
implies that the tests are truly failing.

Ideally, I would like to merge 3.81 out to the cygwin version as opposed to trying
to force the 3.80 cygwin modifications into 3.81, only then to merge it back out
again. The FSF maintainer does not personally support platform specific ports, and
as far as I can find, there is no cygwin FSF supporter.

Is there anyone in the cygwin community that can lend a hand with the merge, ideally
someone who is familiar with cygwin's modifications? I volunteer to try to get the
resulting 3.81 cygwin modifications back into the FSF tree for real.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-sandy

p.s. I have placed a picture the the GNU gnu and the cygwin symbol on an altar,
have incense candles burning, have placed 7 slices of pizza (no meat) next to 7 beers...