Interesting hang when running login from cygwin.bat

I have my cygwin.bat on my W2k Laptop set to start two sessions of cygwin and
being used to the Unix type login prompt you have to log into each session
(really just ot see if I could do it).  My cygwin.bat looks like the following:

@echo off
SET MAKE_MODE=unix
SET CYGWIN=binmode ntsec nostrip_title title tty
SET PATH=d:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;d:\cygwin\usr\bin;d:\cygwin\bin;%PATH%;.
D:
chdir \cygwin

start CMD /c bin\rxvt -geometry 90x30 -fg grey -bg midnightblue -cr red -sr -sl
2000 -fn "Lucida Console-12" -tn rxvt -e /usr/bin/login

pause press return to login

start /B CMD /c bin\login.exe -p

exit

Note the pause where I have to hit return to login.  If I remove this line -
and then run the above cygwin.bat I will be able to log into the screen using
rxvt without a problem but the second line that just simply runs login will go
appear to start to login but will appear to get hung in bash. I say it gets
hung in bash because that is the last entry in the title bar of that window.  I
will then have to kill that window using the close box.  If I then rerun the
cygwin.bat a second time - it will work perfectly but not always consistently.

If I leave the pause in there - it works perfect everytime.  I really do not
understand why the difference.  Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing
wrong or could there be a deeper timing issue.  Are the above lines simply
wrong for what I am trying to do?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

--
Brian Keener
bkeenerReMoVeAnTiSpAm@thesoftwaresource.com

Virtual  Access 6.0 build 8 Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 build 2195