Re: cygwin setup window size, why no maximize button enabled ?

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 05:45:33PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>cgf writes:
>>I've been advocating just releasing the current snapshot as is,
>
>It's a judgement call, so AFAICS it's largely just a matter of taste.
>A buggy GUI is not the end of the world and if a user gets it into an
>unworkable state all they need do is cancel and start again.

But now we have a buggy GUI which is guaranteed to be in an unworkable
state.  The current implementation is pretty user-unfriendly.  It
boils down to a lesser of two evils.

>OTOH it looks kind of flaky for a release.  It's about image and
>presentation and neat-and-tidy-ness.  I suppose there's no reason not
>to release it and list the gui problems as known bugs, PTC.  I've just
>been doing some MFC coding for the first time, I'll take a look at
>fixing some bugs when[*] I get some spare time.

Help would be appreciated but setup doesn't use MFC.

>>although it would also be nice to fix the pcre0 dependency problem.
>
>Can't speak to the dependency problem, as I haven't run up against it,
>but I remember seeing a lot of posts on the list from people who've not
>had libpcre0 properly installed until they re-run setup a second time;
>do you mean that it's a bug in setup's algorithm that it doesn't
>properly calculate the dependency of various packages that use it on
>the library, rather than some issue to do with the packaging/setup hint
>files?

It's a setup algorithm problem.  I can't think of any way to write a
setup.hint file such that dependencies don't show up in the first setup
run but do show up in the second run.

cgf