ncurses problem

I'm having problems compiling a c++ program with ncurses. When it links I
get this message:

g++ -Wall -o main (bunch of .o's) -lncurses -lm
Info: resolving _stdscr by linking to __imp__stdscr (auto-import)
Info: resolving _COLS by linking to __imp__COLS (auto-import)
Info: resolving _LINES by linking to __imp__LINES (auto-import)

It compiles ok, and seems to run, and clears the screen but doesn't seem to
output anything to it, nor does it seem to be accepting input (program
should exit with I hit 'q'... buffers it until I hit ctl-C instead... using
getch()).

I know this program worked under Linux and I do have gcc 3.3.1-3 and ncurses
5.3-4 installed.

Or, does anyone have an example of a program they've gotten to work with
cygwin/ncurses? I searched for the Info lines above and couldn't find
anything on Google or the cygwin site.