strange install behavior

I have just installed cygwin on two machines.  I did a
complete install, per the instructions on the faq.

My problem is that some things are different on my
machines.  A simple one is that ls acts differently.
Note, this is without making any changes to aliases or
profiles.  See below:

$ type ls
ls is aliased to `ls -F --color=tty'

$ type ls
ls is /bin/ls

How could this be?  I did a complete install on both
machines...

Thanks,
Erik