RE: applying command shell properties to cygwin.bat

  Indeed; that's how windoze manages these settings, on a per-shortcut basis
rather than on a per-target basis.  I suspect there may be hidden .pif files
involved here.....

> as a consequence, when invoking bash by running the
> batch file, which is named cygwin.bat and is in a path
> something like n:\cygwin\cygwin.bat, the properties
> are not applied and one ends up with a generic command
> shell window - white text on black background, default
> layout, no icon.

  'fraid so.  That's a .bat file, not a shortcut, and so has no console
window properties associated with it.

> how can one associate the properties with the batch
> file cygwin.bat such that they stay with the command
> shell?

  You can't do, but instead of starting the batch file from your registry
startup entry, you could create a new shortcut to the batch file and put the
path of that shortcut in the registry instead.  Then you could set whatever
properties you wanted in the shortcut.

    cheers,
      DaveK