RE: not found error

> From: Mary Michael

> cc: not found
> Unable to compile the test program.
> Make sure the C compiler cc -O  is properly installed.
>
> Did I miss to install any package from cygwin, as I
> often get bash cc: command not found or bash make:
> command not found.
>
> BTW: I don't have a C compiler in my machine.

 That is obvious from the above. ;-)

A quickly scribbled answer:

My guess is that you installed just the base category of cygwin. To get
somewhere with compiling software you need _at least_ the gcc packages from
the Developer category.

 Whether you need more cygwin packages than that depends on what you (or the
package you're trying to compile) are(is) trying to acheive, ...and in what
way.
An easy way is to download/install all packages (approx. one full CD) -
possibly omitting stuff you do _know_ for sure you won't use. You'll have to
make sure to leave package dependencies though.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59+16.37'N, 17+12.60'E

** on a mailing list; please keep replies on that particular list **

-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--