Re: Is "Patch" broken?

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

> At 05:20 PM 4/8/2004, you wrote:
> >...is my usage broken?
> >
> >I haven't used Patch in a while,  but I've been trying to patch
> >DBD::Oracle1.15,  and the seemingly innocuous patch is being totally
> >rejected:
> >
> >dobrin@THEODOLITE:/c/temp/DBI/patched-DBDO1.15> patch -p0 -F 3 < pch.1
> >patching file dbd-oracle/trunk/Oracle.xs
> >Hunk #1 FAILED at 157.
> >1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> >dbd-oracle/trunk/Oracle.xs.rej
> >dobrin@THEODOLITE:/c/temp/DBI/patched-DBDO1.15> diff
> >./dbd-oracle/trunk/Oracle.xs.orig ./dbd-oracle/trunk/Oracle.xs
> ><no change>
> >
> >I've looked over the patch,  the offsets and patterns look fine.  I even
> >changed the files to all access and ran the patch thru d2u,  but it still
> >rejects all lines.
> >I'd REALLY like to avoid cutting and pasting all the changes....  Does
> >anyone have any suggestions ( I figure it's mightr be a control character
> >thing, but I'd think patch usually deals well with that)
>
> No, patch isn't broken.  Check your patch file for a mismatch of line
> endings (DOS vs UNIX or vice versa).  That's the only things I can think
> of off the top of my head without more specifics.

Bruce,

I've worked a lot with patches, and sometimes it's very hard to spot a
tiny difference (not just trailing spaces or line ending mismatches, for
which you could have simply used the "-l" flag).

What I usually do is take the produced .rej file, edit the "before" part
to get rid of the two leading spaces that patch inserts, and compare it
via diff (or, better yet, vimdiff, as it highlights the *actual* changes,
not just the lines) to the corresponding chunk of the original code.
This approach, of course, is not Cygwin-specific.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/