Environment variables for DOS programs

Hi,

From my Cygwin terminal, I want to call DOS programs  which require
some environment variables to be set properly (such as the commandline
utility *link.exe* of Visual Studio) for current session.

Unfortunately, this was not possible by simply setting the variables in
the shell (I am using tcsh). Link.exe refuses to see the environment
variables defined in tcsh. Is this the desired behaviour?  Is there
anyway to make the DOS programs see the environment variables in Cygwin
shells? Or am I making a fundamental mistake in expecting such a behaviour?

Thank you,
-Levent